Icelandic Online Dictionary and Readings
To access or cite this collection:http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/IcelOnline
About Icelandic Online Dictionary and Readings
Farm in Northern Iceland
Photo © Nolan Pope.
Used with permission.
Icelandic Online Dictionary and Readings is a free-access, Web-based resource developed by the University of Wisconsin-Madison which complements the University of Iceland's Internet course Icelandic Online and was developed side by side with it. The project as a whole consists of three parts:
- Interactive lessons and exercises, equivalent to a one-semester, 3-credit University course in Beginning Modern Icelandic.
- The unabridged content of the highly regarded 1989 Iðunn Íslensk-ensk orðabók (Concise Icelandic-English Dictionary), updated and expanded by one of the original editors, and incorporating the rich set of morphological data developed by Dictionary of the University of Iceland.
- A set of readings in modern Icelandic life, literature and culture, selected to exemplify varying types of discourse and levels of difficulty.
Financial and other support for the University of Wisconsin portion of this project has come from The Andrew Mellon Foundation, John P. Morgridge, the Icelandic Research Council, the National and University Library of Iceland, the Dictionary of the University of Iceland, Edda -- Miðlun og útgáfa hf., Morgunblaðið, Christopher Sanders, the Sigurður Nordal Institute, and the University of Iceland.
Materials in the Collection
- Íslensk-ensk orðabók / Concise Icelandic-English Dictionary
- Selected articles from Morgunblaðið
- Selected readings from Carry On Icelandic
- Víglundar saga: a new edition based on UW-Madison Libraries Special Collections MS 140