Brecht's Works in English: A Bibliography
To access or cite this collection:http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/BrechtGuide
About the Collection
Berlin: E 43-86
The Bibliography of Bertolt Brecht's Works in English Translation contains almost 2900 bibliographical entries. The cooperative project of the International Brecht Society and the Bertolt-Brecht-Archiv (Akademie der Künste, Berlin) offers a comprehensive listing of Brecht's works published in English translation. It is aimed at scholars, teachers, theater practitioners, and the general public seeking access to the works of this major, twentieth-century writer or wishing to compare multiple translations in English.
The Bibliography includes all the major English-language editions of Brecht's works from Great Britain (Methuen) and the United States (Random House, Grove, Arcade). Each text is entered as an individual item (single poems, songs, stories, plays, dialogues, interviews, essays, fragments, variants), while letters and journal entries are entered only as collections. If available, every entry includes the original German title and the exact citation for the original text in the 30-volume Brecht edition published in Germany (Berliner und Frankfurter Ausgabe, Aufbau and Suhrkamp Verlag, 1988-2000), indicated as GBA. As well, the Brecht Archive call number for the English language edition or text is provided (if available), indicated as BBA, and refers to the non-circulating collection housed at the Archive in Berlin. Many of the Methuen translations were licensed for republication or reprinting without modification by other publishers, especially in English-speaking countries such as India or South Africa. These editions have not been included in the bibliography.
Use the search feature to locate entries by keywords in the entire database or perform a guided search of specific fields. Users may search, for example, by genre, translator's name, publisher, or any other field descriptor.
We encourage users to inform us of extant translations not included, especially those to be found in lesser known sources or embedded within articles or studies. Please note that this database is not a record of the holdings of the University of Wisconsin libraries.
- Managing Editor: Marc Silberman (University of Wisconsin, Madison), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bibliographic Consultant: Helgrid Streidt (Bertolt-Brecht-Archiv, Berlin), Streidt@adk.de
- Compiler: Kristopher Imbrigotta (University of Wisconsin, Madison) and Charlotte Ryland (University of Oxford, UK)
- Sponsor: International Brecht Society
Please send all questions, comments, and updates concerning the Brecht Bibliography to the Managing Editor.
Questions or comments about the UW Digital Collections site or technology-related issues should be directed to the University of Wisconsin Digital Collections Center, University of Wisconsin Libraries.
Collection Materials include bibliographical citations for:
- Journals, Diaries
- Plays, Monologues, Screenplays
- International Brecht Society
- Akademie der Künste, Berlin — archival holdings in literature
- University of Wisconsin, German-Americana collection
- Historical Research in Europe: a guide to archives and libraries
- Germany Under Reconstruction
- Mildred Fish Harnack and Red Orchestra Movement (German resistance movement during the Third Reich)
- Current Europe portal
- German Studies Research Guide