This year marks the 100th anniversary of Lathrop Hall. In 1910 the building opened its doors as the Department of Physical Training for Women. According to University News, the original Lathrop Hall had a bowling alley, cafeteria, laundry, theater, three-story gymnasium with a running track, swimming pool, dressing rooms with lockers and showers, club rooms, social lounges, kitchens, reading rooms, home economics laboratories, classrooms and faculty offices.
Our Cultural Landscape of the UW-Madison Campus collection contains images of Lathrop around the time it first opened.
The Cultural Landscape of the UW-Madison Campus image gallery was developed as a research tool to support a two-year effort to inventory and assess cultural landscape resources on the University of Wisconsin-Madison main campus.
Take a look at our historic images and come out to celebrate Lathrop's anniversary. For a list of events see this University News Article.