The books in the Wisconsin Local Histories collection document and present the history of Adams,Columbia, Dane, Green, Portage, Sauk, and Wood Counties and communities therein. The collection includes:
- Written histories of all seven counties.
- Histories of individual communities, including Albany, Belleville, Cambria, Cambridge, Columbus, Fitchburg, Madison, Monroe, Prairie du Sac, Reedsburg, and Waunakee.
- Historical volumes dealing with the cheese and cranberry industries and natural resources of the region.
- Farm directories of Wood County.
- Works dealing with local military history.
This project was completed in cooperation with the Wisconsin South Central Library System (SCLS) using materials contributed from the collections of SCLS member public libraries.
MoreClick to read More
Materials Listing by County
- A History of Cambria; Of places, of people, of eras: Cambria, 1844-1976
- The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages–their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States (1880)
- Story of Columbus v.1
- Story of Columbus v.2
- Story of Columbus v.3
- Story of Columbus v.4
- A time gone, 1940-50
- Durrie, Daniel S. (Daniel Steele), 1819-1892 A history of Madison, the capital of Wisconsin; including the Four lake country (1874)
- Ex-P.O.W. #12048
- The Fitchburg Bicentennial Committee presents Fitchburg, a history
- History of Cambridge, Wisconsin
- Irish Settlers of Fitchburg, Wisconsin, 1840-1860 Madison, Dane County and surrounding towns ; being a history and guide to places of scenic beauty and historical note … early intercourse of the settlers with the indians … with a complete list of county supervisors and officers, and legislative members (1877)
- Madison, Dane County and surrounding towns ; being a history and guide to places of scenic beauty and historical note … early intercourse of the settlers with the indians … with a complete list of county supervisors and officers, and legislative members (1877)
- People pleasing recipes : celebrating Waunakee’s quasquicentennial 1871-1996 Waunakee centennial, 1871-1971
- Waunakee centennial, 1871-1971
- Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) History of Green County, Wisconsin (1877)
- History of Green County, Wisconsin. together with biographies of representative citizens. history of Wisconsin, embracing accounts of the pre-historic races, and a brief account of its territorial and state governments. (1884)
- A history of Green County’s cheese industry
- The story of Monroe: its past and its progress toward the present
- Swiss Cheese Industry
- Yesteryears: The History of Albany
- Historical homes of Prairie du Sac
- Historical sketches of Prairie du Sac
- History of Reedsburg and the upper Baraboo valley
- A standard history of Sauk County, Wisconsin: Volume I (1918)
- A standard history of Sauk County, Wisconsin: Volume II (1918)
- Cary, Augustus G. Cranberry culture on a western plan: with valuable items and recipes from growers and members of the Wisconsin Cranberry Associations (1891)
- Directory service company annual farm directory of Woods [ie Wood] County Wisconsin, 1965 (1965)
- Farm Plat Book Publishing (Manakato, Minn.) Official county plat book and rural directory of Wood County, Wisconsin. (1956)
- Jones, George O. History of Wood County, Wisconsin (1923)
- Olson, Fred W. History of Company “A” 127th Infantry, 64th Brigade, 32nd Division : from official data (1919?)
- Wood County farm directory, 1940 (1940)
This project was funded, in part, through a 2012 Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant. This grant provided financial support for public libraries to digitize and make available online, their local library resources. For more information about LSTA grants in Wisconsin, contact the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) Division for Libraries and Technology or visit the LSTA grant Web site at http://pld.dpi.wi.gov/pld_lsta.
CopyrightClick to read our Copyright statement
This compilation (including design, introductory text, organization, and descriptive material) is copyrighted by University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents.
This copyright is independent of any copyright on specific items within the collection. Because the University of Wisconsin Libraries generally do not own the rights to materials in these collections, please consult copyright or ownership information provided with individual items.
Images, text, or other content downloaded from the collection may be freely used for non-profit educational and research purposes, or any other use falling within the purview of “Fair Use“.
In all other cases, please consult the terms provided with the item, or contact the Libraries.