Lake Forest “The Lost City” was a planned community on the wetlands east of Lake Wingra, within the present day UW-Madison Arboretum. The development began in 1914 and ended in 1922 when the Lake Forest Company declared bankruptcy. Some remains from the development can still be seen in the Arboretum today.
The Lake Forester was published from 1920-1922 and contains a wealth of information about the planned suburb. The 33 issues from 1920-21 digitized here are from the UW-Madison Archives’ collection on Lake Forest, Series 38/6/1-5 (6 archives boxes; see also Series 38/2/11). Additional issues of the Lake Forester through March 1, 1922 are in the library of the Wisconsin Historical Society, Microfilm P76-6612.
CopyrightClick to read our Copyright statement
This compilation (including design, introductory text, organization, and descriptive material) is copyrighted by University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents.
This copyright is independent of any copyright on specific items within the collection. Because the University of Wisconsin Libraries generally do not own the rights to materials in these collections, please consult copyright or ownership information provided with individual items.
Images, text, or other content downloaded from the collection may be freely used for non-profit educational and research purposes, or any other use falling within the purview of “Fair Use“.
In all other cases, please consult the terms provided with the item, or contact the Libraries.